I set this up so that everyone can keep track of me on my travels. Hope you enjoy reading.

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Head full of snot

Yes, I still have my cold, and still going through roughly a box of tissues a day, with the odd arrival of an excruciating headache to go along with the fun! I worked Monday and then took yesterday off because I woke up, felt like crap, rang and said i was unavailable, and went back to sleep for another 3 hours, making a grand sumof 12 hours sleep, which i obviously needed. I was in 2 minds about whether to do the same today, as I really need to shift this cold, because i don't want it lingering around for weeks and ruining the next few weekends of stuff for me, yet I also am desperate for the money. So which is more important? my health of my money? I decided today I would not ring and make myself unavailable, but I would leave it up to them to ring me if they have work, that way it's out of my hands. It is 7.51am now and so far nothing. But sometimes they don't ring until 8.30am.
I am slightly annoyed because I typed a whole blog entry yesterday and was almost finished when the screen dissappeared and said the site was under maintenance until 9.30am (10.30pm) and I have lost everything I typed :( Not Happy Jan! I will now try and recall what I wrote...
Monday, at work, I worked in a school that I have only worked at once before, back in my 2nd week of teaching here, 4 months ago. I taught a year 6 class then, and once they learnt I was Australian we ended up having an impromptu lesson on spiders. Monday I taught the other yr 6 class at the school, and when I took them down to assembly the class I had 4 months ago waved at me and a couple go "its the spider lady!". Later they came up to me and were telling me some of the facts I had told them about spiders, 4 months earlier! I was quite impressed that they took in so much, as the class I was teaching that day didn't seem to retain information for longer than 2 minutes! So it is true, you only rememeber what interests you! The class I had on Monday were ... um ... noisy! I had to raise my voice a couple of times to get them to stop talking while I was talking, but generally they weren't too bad, compared to some classes I have had. I am not quite sure why I get given year 6 classes, as I was not very good at yr 6 maths myself, so teaching them is a bit of a joke! They were doing subtracting decimals and I had to look at their work to see how they worked it out so I could help the ones who didn't understand it! Tee hee hee! Then in the afternoon we were doing revision on the sun, moon and earth and orbits and gravitational pull etc. After we had talked about it, drawn diagrams on the board, had kids come up and be the moon, earth and sun, and answered the worksheet I got them up to play celebrity head, but with the words we had just been discussing. Like 'orbit' and they had to guess what it was by asking yes/no questions. Then we moved on to 'things in the classroom' then the kids wanted me to have a go and they chose an actual celebrity. I was guessing away and they said they would give me a clue cos 'i would never get it'. The clue was 'she's going out with Jay-Z (if you know who that is)' so I said 'Beyonce' and you should have seen how shocked they were! Once girl said, in typical Bristol style "you're well young miss to know that"! So I think I got some fans in that class! One of the boys who had been horrible all day and I had been on his case all day actually asked if I was back in the next day, and when I said no, he said that I should ask to be back in. Which I thought was odd, cos if anyone was going to not like me, it would be him!
Hmm, what else? I have some housemate changes coming up... the 'small room' as we refer to it, yes, it is smaller than mine, is being filled on Monday by Ashley... which we discovered if a boy Ashley. Then I think next wed Frenchy is leaving to go back to school in France, so we will be getting a replacement for his room at some time too. The smallroom was empty for about 3 months tho, so who knows. Gavin is talking about buying his own house somewhere, so he might leave, but no date yet. I think if I was here any longer than 5 months I would consider getting a different place, just because it has become quite blokey in here, with the level of blokey conversation and blokey comments slowly rising, and its like i dont exist when they say them, whereas before they would appologise when they got too blokey and I was in the room! There is also the issue of the one who plays techno doof doof stuff rather loudly ALL the freaking time! It's only 5 more months here, then a month with the rellies, and of those 5 months, I worked out 43 days i have booked in different places, so its really only 4 months, not including weekends at the rellies, so I think I can cope!
Hmm... what else? Oh, if anyone finds $1000000 lying around anywhere, send it my way, cos I could really do with it! I don't understand HOW people come to live in London, in a flat with 8 or 9 other Aussies and do supply teaching and go to different countries only to look at the ouside of buildings cos they can't affordto go in, and don't buy guidebooks cos thwy cost too much etc, but I now understand WHY they do it! But if i have to go back to Australia with no money left in my pockets, yet the experience of having lived in England like and English person and really experienced the culture and history of different countries, rather than ticking them off a list, then that to me seems so much better than the alternative. Surely you would go to England to see English people? Not to hang out with as any Aussies as you possibly can in the Aussie part of London where is isn't really England anyway. *end rant*
Ok, so, looks like I will not be working today, which I am kind of glad about, except not I am showered and dressed for no reason. But I will definately ring them thisafternoon and ask about work for tomorrow and Friday. Keep the comments coming, as I love to read them, and I probably wont blog again until I get back from Rome.
Oh, and it wouldn't be English of me if I didn't mention the weather! It has rained on and off for about 10 days straight now, so I will be sending some of it you way as soon asI work out how to control the weather. I shouldn't complain about the rain, because I might not ever see it again when I get back to Oz! Anyways, just thought I'd rub that in! I actually get excited at the number of different shades of green lush grass there are in the countryside here, which is quite sad, because its all pale green- brown in Australia, and from what I hear, just getting browner! So, I will head off now, and try and get my weather controlling powers working, and blog again when I get back from Rome on the 23rd.
Ammendment: I just got home from work, as soon as I clicked Publish the fone rang and i spent the day with feral 4 yr olds at the worst school in Bristol (where i worked in my 1st 3 days teaching) and I'm back again on Friday! Huzzah! I'm eating mickey mouse pasta bake with the micket mouse pasta I bought in Pisa! (just thought I'd throw that in!)

No comments: