I set this up so that everyone can keep track of me on my travels. Hope you enjoy reading.

Monday, May 14, 2007

I have proof

I have been saying, jokingly, the whole time I have been teaching that they must have my file highlighted for bad schools or something. I know I must have earnt a reputation as being able to survive in these sorts of schools, but I was just joking when I said I was targetted for them. Today I got proof.
I have been working in a school with the worse class in the school (nothing compared to innercity Bristol, but still "lively" as the person I deal with at Select calls them). And I was there Thurs and Fri last week, when they booked me for thisafternoon, and Thurs and Fri this week.
When I left today I got a message saying to ring about work. And he said he has gota different school I havent been to before but the same class for me Tues and Wed this week and all next well. He then went on to explain they mentioned it was a "lively" class, and he said I wasn't available thurs and fri, and they were happy to work around that. That means he must say I am the best person for a lively class, cos they have LOADS of teachers on their books just sitting around waiting for calls, I am already booked, but he reccommends me. Finally, proof that I am their "lively class" go to person!
I am kind of proud of this fact, however I am also a bit confused. Up until September last year the most amount of time I had ever spent teaching in a school was 3 weeks on my 3rd year prac. I am only qualified to teach up to 8 yr olds. I didn't even pass my interview with the Dept of Education when I was in my final year of uni because they said I wasn't what they were looking for. Yet here I am being hand picked to work in the toughest schools with the toughest classes because I don't go home crying at the end of the day, and I don'twalk out at recess because I can't take it.
The confusing bit is, they have people on their books who are semi-retired so doing supply because it doesn't have the stress, who have been teaching locally for 30+ years and some have even been head teachers, yet I am the one they ask. The 26 yr old Aussie girl with no local knowledge and no prior school experience. The only thing I can think of that puts me in this position is that I have 4 years of essentially behaviour guidance learnings from uni, and 4 years experience implementing this, so these "lively" classes are essentially really large 3 yr olds, who talk back and swear!
So yeah, I just wanted to put that in writing, because I think it is quite amazing that little (not that little) old me is their go-to person. I also found out a while back, through talking to other supply people, not everyone is on the guaranteed work scheme, like I am, and they keep offering me. So they obviously want me. Just thought I'd toot my own horn a bit, and share this with whoever reads this, because it has made me feel quite proud of myself. so... TOOT TOOT!

1 comment:

KD said...

Hi Rach. You deserve to pat yourself on the back. It is tough doing what you are doing. Don't forget to get a letter of reference from some of these schools to bring home with you. I sense some apprehension about returning to AUS and teaching here. The experience you have gained must be very valuable and I suspect these characters who interview prospective teachers may not be in touch with reality.
Well done.
KD