I set this up so that everyone can keep track of me on my travels. Hope you enjoy reading.

Friday, September 15, 2006

i'm a working girl!

Well, I have worked! I had a day on Tuesday in a nursery (not where plants come from, its what they call a long day care over here) as an assistant, and there were like 6 staff and 30 kids, so I didn't get any cleaning duties or anything, I just supervised the kids, and I had no teaching responsibilities either. It was boring, I can do that sort of thing with my eyes closed! Then the next day I got a call to work in a primary school in St Paul for the afternoon, which turned into all day thurs and fri too. (if u were doing an english exam it would go something like "St Paul:Bristol as Redfern:?" and the answer would be Sydney). All of the kids were "multicultural" and almost all were I think Ugandan refugees. It was challenging, to say the least. Thank god I had a student teacher in there all the time who knew their names, cos I still couldn't pronounce 4 kids names thisafternoon when I left, and others I kept getting corrected on. This was a yr 3 class, well, all of yr 3. There were 21 kids in yr 3. There are about 130-150 kids in the whole school. 1 class per grade, with around 20-30 per class. Apparently some years they hafta combine yrs 4 and 5 for example cos theres not enough, as families come and go a lot, being refugees.
Anyways, I had yr 3, and i hadta use a lot of my preschool teaching skills with them cos they were worse behaved in terms of "behaviour management" than 3 yr olds. tantrums every 5 seconds, play fighting with each other, arguing with the teachers, crying, storming off, and the attitudes on these kids, was like 15 yr olds crossed with terrible twos. Apparently they are so mean to teachers on day 1 that most refuse to go back, but I didn't take any of their crap! I made one girl so furious that she wouldn't come back in after I told her to (I sent her out for being disrespectful) and when she did come back in she refused to go anywhere near me and would only talk to the student teacher, and then like 10 minutes later she was begging me to let her be my helper. See, noone can resist my charms! Tough love baby!
I saw some glimmers of hope and I think if this was my class I would have them all under control in about 3 weeks, cos they learnt pretty quickly that I was serious, and actions did have consequences. But its not up to me, and as is the case a lot of times, if you are there all the time, u dont wanna hafta argue all day every day, so u just give in and let them get away with a lot more, cos otherwise u wouldnt wanna keep going back to work. I'd much raher fix it early and make the rest of the year enjoyable for all *cracks whip*!
Anyways, so I have worked 3.5 days this week, and I am working Tuesday morning next week in the nursery again (with the babies, awwwww), but the other agency rang today and said that work was picking up there too, so I might get work with them too. Who knows?
So I haven't had any adventures this week, I can't even think what I did Monday...must have been exciting. I didn't write anything in my diary either. So no photos. I have booked myself a holiday to Pisa (Italy) in the first weekend in October, and the next weekend I am going to Calais (France) so that should be exciting! Other countries to explore!
Tomorrow I am going up to Milton Keynes again for my cousin's 30th b'day celebration, but first thing I have my audition for the band, at 10am. Turns out I have to perform one piece, sight read something, and then perform a basic skills test. The basic skills test scares me cos I am rubbish at scales and I have a feeling it might be that *panic*... so wish me luck!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

did you get into the band? sounds like you'll be a popular temp teacher too :).

-jaime

Anonymous said...

HI ray,

I ventured into the 21st century again and read your blog entries. The pics are awesome and the stories funny.

Tell us more stories about your house mates! Do they have weirdo habits? Have you screamed at anyone of them yet?!

Well done with the Yr 3 class. I can imagine! I have some clients (15-18yrs) who sound just like those little kids.

Hope work keeps coming your way. Your holiday trips to Italy and france sound very nice. Let us know what you get up to.

Take care

Tina.

Raych said...

I did make it into the band, apparently I was very impressive! My first rehearsal is tonight. Noone is going to discover this message, because I should have written it in the main blog, but it takes too long.